HSE Lead – Grand Falls, NL
Dovre Group is pleased to present the following opportunity: HSE Lead. This is a 6 month contract position located in Grand Falls, NL.
- The primary role of the HSE Lead is to provide leadership, technical support and training of site personnel in the development and implementation of the Health, Safety, & Environment Management System for the Company. The role is responsible for hazard identification and risk management processes, and for ensuring that Policies, Procedures and Work Practices comply with Company standards and regulatory requirements and our commitments. The HSE Lead also provides coaching and direction to enable line management and contractors to achieve accountability for health, safety, and environment management in their respective areas.
- In addition, the HSE Lead is responsible for enhancing the organization’s overall health, safety, and environmental infrastructure and emergency preparedness and response plans. This position will engage in organizational leadership relating to regulatory compliance while promoting a culture of workplace safety and an accountability framework. The HSE Lead will assist in the development and monitoring of health, safety, and environment programming and compliance. The position will identify methods to maximize the existing human resources in day-to-day operations and in the case of emergencies, build liaison relationships with external emergency services, promote, and provide training programs to staff and stakeholders with a focus on health, safety, and environment.
- Provide leadership and direction in Health, Safety, and Environment Management
- Emergency Response, in alignment with the Company’s overall direction.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the Company’s the existing Health, Safety, and Environment Program to identify gaps and implement recommendations for improvement and sustainability.
- Consult, communicate, and collaborate with the Senior Management Team to promote health, safety, & environment in the work environment through the prevention of incidents and accidents.
- Lead the development of the Corporate Health, Safety, and Environment Management System.
- Lead, develop, implement, promote, and maintain the organizations Health, Safety, and Environment Management Plan in collaboration with leadership team by providing ongoing oversight and training to all employees.
- Develop, implement, maintain and monitor employee, consultant, and subcontractor adherence to health, safety, and environment policies, programs, directives, prevention activities and standards to ensure a safety-first work culture that support the Company.
- Build effective communication strategies to raise the site profile and drive accountability for continuous health, safety, and environment improvements while managing relationships with both internal and external stakeholders on safety-related matters in consultation with the Senior Management Team.
- Coach and mentor, the health, safety and environment team, supervisors, superintendents, and management throughout the Company while directing the day-to-day activities of the health, safety and environment team.
- Key point of contact for Health, Safety and Environment for all Marathon personnel, consultants, and contractors.
- Perform and monitor audit practices that support all health, safety, and environment systems while managing and conducting risk assessments, developing and updating required prevention methods and site safety plans, and conduct follow-up on required action items related to audits results.
- Conduct reviews and consolidation of risk registers to identify risks and critical controls that mitigate unwanted exposures across health, safety, and environment practices.
- Ensure corrective actions and lessons learned from internal and external sources are effectively communicated and consistently applied.
- Collect, analyze, report, and discuss health and safety data and information with relevant supervisors to drive continuous improvements against agreed action plans.
- Conduct periodic analysis of incident data identifying trends and develop targeted interventions.
- Drive the use of health, safety, and environment metrics, scorecards, and reporting within all departments.
- Support the Leadership team with WorkplaceNL claims; ensure administration, reporting requirements, injury management, and return to work programs are followed.
- Lead the delivery/facilitating of health, safety, and environment orientation training of all new hires, as well as recertification training of all employees as required.
- Participate in prequalification reviews of contractor companies to ensure long term commitment to the improvement of health and safety practices.
- Manage the collection, analysis, and statistical reporting that measure the KPIs set for the organization annually.
- Drive the use of the Management of Change process with specific focus on the Team Based Risk Assessment function.
- Lead the achievement and maintenance of health, safety, and environment management accreditation programs through record keeping, documentation submission, and internal and external audits as required.
- Develop and manage the health, safety, and environment budget process.
- Develop, implement, and support the Emergency Response Team.
- Ensure the development, implementation and execution of the emergency response plan, including establishment and support of the emergency response and mine rescue teams, along with associated equipment and training standards.
- Manage and support the EMTs, medical services and site security provider in the performance of their duties.
- Perform all associated administrative duties, as well as attend training and conferences to remain compliant and current with legislation as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in engineering, applied science or a related field.
- Post graduate completion of a Health and Safety program or Health and Safety certification.
- Experience with Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
- Minimum 10 years of related Health, Safety, and Environment Management experience in an industrial or mining development/ operations setting.
- Extensive experience with safety and environment systems and methods.
- Experience in an industrial environment would be considered an asset.
- Experience in mining would be considered an asset.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Demonstrated ability to self-manage and influence change across a variety of working environments.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to influence others to follow safety and environment practices, procedures, and regulations.
- Comprehensive understanding of the development, implementation and monitoring of health, safety and environment systems.
- Competent in Risk Management processes related to health, safety, and environment practices.
- Strong understanding of the mining industry.
- Exceptional knowledge and understanding of applicable legislation, regulations, policies, and practices related to health, safety, and environment.
- Ability to manage delivery of a Health, Safety, and Environment Program.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to communicate at all levels.
- Exceptional conflict resolution, negotiation, and objection handling skills.
- Ability to combine a focus on the big picture with a keen attention to detail, while working in a fast- paced environment.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude with the ability to work within a team or independently.
- Strong understanding of safety and environment issues and the risks of construction and mining operations.
- High level of integrity and professionalism. Knowledge and understanding of process safety and critical control management.
- Familiar with Health, Safety & Environment Management Systems.
- Tactful and mature demeanor with well developed interpersonal skills including the ability to work well with diverse groups.
- A valid driver’s license and drivers abstract required.
Our Client requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as per Health Canada guidelines.
Dovre Group is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from anyone meeting the requirements for this position.
For more information about the position above or working for Dovre Group, please contact: