Marine Mammal & Seabird Observer
Haven't found what you are looking for?
- OtherKey Responsibilities include: Monitor a designated area for protected species and implement any mitigation measures as per project guidelinesNewfoundland/Labrador, Canada
Dovre Group is currently recruiting Senior and Junior Marine Mammal Observers (MMO) and Seabird Observers (SO) as a combined role of MMSO. The expectation is for these MMSOs to work on clients Seismic Vessels during the Newfoundland and Labrador Seismic season from mid May to mid September 2019. The role consists of 4-5 week rotations onboard Seismic vessels at sea.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Maintain visual watches in the vicinity around vessels for the presence of marine mammals and sea turtles, implement any mitigation measures as per project guidelines.
- Provide verbal and written descriptions of the marine mammal sightings as required by the Client
- Accurately record sightings and complete logs associated with daily sighting activities.
- Perform regular seabird surveys (as per client request)
- Provide daily, weekly and final project reports for seismic clients and all regulating bodies.
- Provided information to seismic operators/regulators regarding compliance with project and regional specific marine mammal mitigation regulations.
- A degree in; or pursuing a degree in; marine biology, environmental sciences, ecosystems, earth sciences, fisheries, or a considerably strong background in a Marine Mammal or Seabird Discipline.
- This position has a large responsibility, with the decision authority to delay or stop a multi-million dollar seismic activity. A strong decisive, and rational personality is beneficial.
- Must have a good understanding of the Statement of Canadian Practice and The Species at Risk Act, along with a basic theory of seismic exploration.
- Must be able to clearly identify marine mammals within the region of the survey
- Must understand the mitigation requirements of the area or project along with the ability to make decisions quickly and to convey the necessary mitigation information to the crew concisely, politely, objectively and firmly
Dovre Group is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from anyone meeting the requirements for this position.
For more information about the position above or working for Dovre Group, please contact: