Passive Acoustic Monitors
Haven't found what you are looking for?
- OtherKey Responsibilities will include: Maintain visual watches in the vicinity around vessels for the presence of marine mammals and sea turtles,Newfoundland/Labrador, Canada
Dovre Group is currently recruiting Passive Acoustic Monitors (PAMs). The expectation is for these PAMs to work on clients Seismic Vessels during the Newfoundland and Labrador Seismic season from mid May to mid September 2019. The role consists of 4-5 week rotations onboard Seismic vessels at sea.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Monitor a designated area for protected species and implement any mitigation measures as per project guidelines
- Accurately record sightings and complete logs associated with daily sighting activities.
- Operate and maintain field equipment
- Operate and troubleshoot PAM equipment
- Accurately detect and localize protected species
- Communicate any detections with the Marine Mammal & Seabird Observer on deck
- Provide daily, weekly and final project reports for seismic clients and all regulating bodies.
- Provided information to seismic operators/regulators regarding compliance with project and regional specific marine mammal mitigation regulations.
- A degree in; or pursuing a degree in; marine biology, environmental sciences, physics, ecosystems, earth sciences, fisheries, Engineering, technology or a considerably strong background in a Marine Mammal Discipline.
- This position has a large responsibility, with the decision authority to delay or stop a multi-million dollar seismic activity. A strong decisive, and rational personality is beneficial.
- Must have a good understanding of the Statement of Canadian Practice and The Species at Risk Act, along with a basic theory of seismic exploration.
- A good attitude to conducting monitoring periods of concentrated effort, often for long days and several consecutive weeks
- Ability and experience to identify a range of marine mammal acoustic signals
- Ability to assemble, deploy and configure PAM equipment to optimize signal-to-noise ratio
Dovre Group is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from anyone meeting the requirements for this position.
For more information about the position above or working for Dovre Group, please contact: