Manager, Electrical Generation Planning – Iqaluit
Dovre is recruiting for the position of Manager, Electrical Generation Planning, located in Iqaluit, Nunavut.
Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut and reporting to the Director, Engineering the Manager, Electrical Generation Planning is responsible for the research, planning, and certification of the Corporation’s generation systems, designs, and standards. The position supports the execution of generation projects by providing engineering support in areas such as system planning, design services, technical analysis, and conducting research. The position also provides technical advice, support, and recommendations to stakeholders as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans and designs new installations, replacements, overhauls, and upgrades to the Corporation’s generation systems and ensures that all designs meet or exceed QEC’s Generation Standards and all other applicable codes, standards, and regulations.
- Submits Requests for Tender for capital projects such as genset, emergency genset, switchgear, and power plant improvements, replacements, and installations, etc. and ensures capital and recoverable projects are on time and within budget.
- Undertakes and coordinates research, studies, analysis, and designs related to integration of alternative energy systems, generator sizing, fuel storage, etc.
- Oversees and assists in the design and development of new and existing generation standards and procedures, including stamping designs.
- Chairs the Generation Standards Committee consisting of representation from the Engineering and Operation departments.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P. Eng.), with immediate eligibility for registration with NAPEG.
- Seven years of experience planning electrical generation systems in a utility.
- Two years of experience in the supervision and development of staff.
- Experience in diesel-generated power generation.
- Experience in full scope project management, from inception to commissioning
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation is an asset.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language, and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $128,034.52 to $154,016.92, a northern living allowance of $16,008 per annum, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is not included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please apply online.
Open until filled.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest. However, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
For more information about the position above or working for Dovre Group, please contact: