Project Engineer – Water/Wastewater Treatment Facilities – Toronto, ON
Dovre Group is pleased to present the following opportunity: Project Engineer – Water/Wastewater Treatment Facilities.
Our client’s Toronto office is seeking a Project Engineer for Water and Wastewater projects. The candidate can function as a technical specialist or in a lead role. With minimal supervision, applies advanced engineering techniques and analyses for problems and methods.
Technical Design and Project Management Support:
The Project Engineer is responsible for providing support in various water and wastewater project functions including detailed studies, process engineering, water/wastewater treatment modelling and calculations, technology application reviews, preliminary design, detailed design tasks including technical drawings and specifications, contract documents, construction support. The candidate will also be able to direct staff and manage and work within multi-discipline project teams. Scope and time management of projects is key to meeting project budget and schedule. Experience with Environmental Assessment process is an asset.
The candidate may also be responsible to support project management with a strong understanding of project budgets, schedules, and change order management.
The candidate will also provide business development support including technical proposal writing, identifying and researching strategic opportunities, and developing positive relationships with clients and municipal and permitting agencies.
- Prepares a variety of complex engineering deliverables such as technical contract specifications, drawings and other contract documents
- Performs complex research and develops recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection
- Prepares complex engineering calculations following standard methods and principles
- Manages assigned budget, schedule, and quality requirements
- Plans and conducts independent evaluation, selection and adaptation of engineering techniques, procedures and criteria
- Prepares applications to agencies for permits and approvals as needed
- Reviews lower level engineering work or assignments
- Contributes to proposal development work
- Site visits to facilities for in-person review and investigation to support engineering production
- Is responsible for one or more of the following: overseeing collection, assimilation, and management of data for engineering work; leading smaller production teams; and serving as the responsible charge for a project
- Continues to learn, remains current and applies independent knowledge and interpretation about departmental design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and company policies and procedures relative to assigned tasks
- Consistently and independently applies knowledge and complies with company quality program relative to assigned tasks
- May be responsible for ensuring compliance with company quality program
- Provides guidance and direction to others from the same project and discipline
- Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts
- Actively coordinates with all other internal/external team members on moderately complex projects
- Coordinate with multi-discipline teams
- Responsible for assisting with identification of key client interests and drivers on less complex projects
- Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate these concerns in the performance of the work on less complex projects
- May provide support to business development or pursuit activities
Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology:
- Recognized as a technical specialist by the division having in-depth knowledge of an engineering process and/or of technical aspects of an industry
- Designs a complete project of moderately complex scope within an assigned practice area(s)
- Highly skilled in common desktop packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Teams, MS Project)
People Management – (supervision, career development, training, mentoring):
- Typically assists with performance management process, mentoring, recognition, and any corrective actions required
- Train and mentor junior team members.
- Written Communications
- Drive For Results
- Priority Setting
- Directing Others
- Conflict Management
- Dealing with Ambiguity and Building Effective Teams
- Intermediate knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing.
- Minimum of 5 years related work experience.
- All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
- Most positions – depending on the nature of work performed as defined by the division – will typically require incumbents to have professional registration or licensure in their designated home office country, or be in active pursuit* of such registration.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Communicates effectively
- Directs work
- Instills trust
- Interpersonal savvy
- Organizational savvy
- Customer focus
- Decision quality
Dovre Group is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from anyone meeting the requirements for this position.
For more information about the position above or working for Dovre Group, please contact: