Technical Lead Electrical Engineer – Substation Design – Duluth, MN (Remote)
Dovre Group is pleased to present the following opportunity: Technical Lead Electrical Engineer – Substation Design located in Duluth, MN. This role can be performed in a REMOTE capacity.
Our Client’s power division is one of the largest and most geographically diverse groups in the industry, serving electric power transmission and distribution clients worldwide. Our Client provides complete engineering, procurement, and construction new asset and operating asset services in the following areas:
- Overhead Transmission Lines
- Underground Transmission Lines
- Renewables Integration
Your Key Responsibilities:
- In this role you will function as a technical lead substation design engineer.
- Substation design encompasses distribution, sub-transmission and transmission level voltage classes.
- Under minimal supervision, you will perform advanced engineering techniques and analyses for problems and methods.This will expand your knowledge and skill set in area of discipline and among other functional areas.
- In addition, you will lead other engineers and interface directly with clients.
- Lastly, you will be responsible for the overall execution and quality of substation projects as a leader within a team environment.
- Perform substation design, including physical design, protective relaying/control with an emphasis on continuous improvement.
- Apply knowledge of standards, systems, document control, departmental guides, applicable codes and Company policies and procedures.
Quality / Continuous Improvement:
- Consistently and independently applies knowledge and complies with the Company’s quality program relative to assigned tasks.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with the Company’s quality program while performing internal Quality Assurance technical reviews.
- Provides guidance and direction to others from the same project and discipline.
- Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts.
- Prepares a variety of complex engineering deliverables for substation design.
- Performs complex research and develops recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection.
- Prepares complex engineering calculations following standard methods and principles.
- Manages assigned budget, schedule, and quality requirements.
- Plans and conducts independent evaluation, selection and adaptation of engineering techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Actively coordinates with all other internal/external team members on moderately complex projects.
- Manages work assignments and ensures quality from direct reports.
- Actively participate in management, project scheduling, and work/resource planning meetings.
- Interface directly with clients, vendors and subcontractors.
- Identify key client interests, communicate drivers to project team members and develop solutions for less complex projects.
- Focuses on the needs of internal clients while gaining an understanding of external client’s main interests and drivers.
Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology:
- May be recognized as a technical specialist by the division having in-depth knowledge of an engineering process and/or of technical aspects of an industry.
- Responsible for the design of a complete project of moderately complex scope within an assigned practice area(s).
People Management – (supervision, career development, training, mentoring):
- Typically assists with performance management process, mentoring, recognition, and any corrective actions required.
- Mentor less experienced engineers and direct reports.
- Provide constructive feedback to direct reports on performance.
- Substation Design – Physical and Protection & Control (P&C)
- Quality Assurance and Quality Control of substation design projects
- Intermediate knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing.
- Minimum of 5 years related work experience
- All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
- Most positions – depending on the nature of work performed as defined by the division – will typically require incumbents to have professional registration or licensure in their designated home office country, or be in active pursuit* of such registration
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Communicates effectively
- Directs work
- Instills trust
- Interpersonal savvy
- Organizational savvy
- Customer focus
- Decision quality
Dovre Group is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from anyone meeting the requirements for this position.
For more information about the position above or working for Dovre Group, please contact: